LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Ork full time and receive social security when i am 66, can

Customer Question

ork full time and receive social security when i am 66
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: can i work full time and receive social security when i am 66
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under present social security law, including 2017 laws, as soon as you reach full retirement age (which is 66 now but will increase for people born in 1955 and later) you are eligible to receive your full social security retirement benefit and you will not be penalized for earning more than $16,920 per year in income. If you are between 62 and full retirement age, you can still collect your full benefit so long as you earn less than $16,920 per year.

So yes, if you are now, or soon will be, 66, then you may continue to work---earning as much as you want---and still collect your full social security benefit without any concern of any penalty for having earned too much.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the New Year,

Doug