dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

They deduct from ss check 2 amounts one medicare 109. and

Customer Question

they deduct from ss check 2 amounts one medicare 109. and medicare prescrption drugs 113.40 my card says A and B i pay blue cross blue shield another 220. plus a month for supplemental ithink i paying twice merc diaz
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no am i paying twice for medicare and drugs from ss chech and blue cross
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

OK, the 109 is clearly the basic part B of medicare.

The 113.40, sounds like Part D (prescriptions) and those will depend on what kind of Rx plan you chose. If you have expensive Rxs, you may have chosen the kind of plan that covers your Rxs best. For instance, if your Rxs, without a plan, would be $3000/mo, the 113.40 sounds good, right? But, if you are not on any Rxs, or they are cheap anyway, you may want to change. Maybe.

Part A is hospitalization is FREE for near all, so that should not be part of these charges (free).

Now, 220 for BCBS - You could have a supplemental, yes - we are currently paying about 227 for a top Supp (it is F or G) - and that is PURE choice. We did so because as my mother ages, her medical needs will likely go UP (she is pretty non-medical now, which is good), and if we didn't take the high end plan when she was healthy and at her first eligibility, she'd lose the right to NOT be underwritten. Getting a supp plan later, the carrier can underwrite you and deny you right when life says you need the better coverage most. So, giving up a Supp is really a big decision. So, if the above applies, you are NOT paying twice - you are paying 109 for basic B, which means you would pay 20% of your bills. The 220 you are paying is for ADDITIONAL coverage and likely/may means no 20%, possibly no co pays, and often nothing but a 180 total deductible all year (if you have G or F). But, when in doubt as to which Supp you have, call your BCBS.

Now, if the Supp is way to much, you can consider changing (when applicable) to an Advantage plan - which can be low or no premiums and may include Rx plan. They are not as good coverage though and require you stay "in network" of that particular carrier (vs. Supp plan,where you can use any medicare-accepting provider).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!