Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I receive my own Social Security benefits, I am a widow, do

Customer Question

I receive my own Social Security benefits, I am a widow, do I qualify for my husband's social security? He earned much less then I, but he still earned, and because he is deceased, I think I deserve what he earned. Before Social Security is supposedly erased from those of us that have put into the SS system. When something is taking without permission, isn't it considered theft? As the widow of an American born Citizen born in 1944, wouldn't his benefits be ADDED to mine? I am now 68 years old.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband died of "AGENT ORANGE" which he contracted while in Viet Nam. He has children that will be affected by genitically being also affected by "AGENT ORANGE." The now generation in Viet Nam are proof that "AGENT ORANGE" can and is past on.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, you are not entitled to additional Social Security benefits if the benefits you would receive under your husband's earnings would be lower than benefits that you are currently receiving. You are only entitled to additional benefits only if the benefits that you would receive as a survivor would be higher than benefits that you are currently receiving. In that case, Social Security Administration would switch you over to the Survivor benefits from your current benefits. You do not get two separate benefits. This is the current law. There are no exceptions.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.