annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

I received my first Survivor Benefit from my husband's

Customer Question

I received my first Survivor Benefit from my husband's Retirement account with Civil Service System this month, December 22, 2916. Will my SSA returement beneits continue?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My hsuband died Nov. 11, 2016. I sent OMP the documents it required
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: He died of prolonged illnesses. I reported his death to the local Social Security office in Tacoma, WA. The SSA CSR informed me that the hospital where he died sends his th certificate to
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 4 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi

First, let me tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

The answer to your question depends on when your husband first began work. If he was hired and began working before 1984, and/or his last day of service is before 07/01/2004 then generally speaking, these benefits will not affect your SS benefits.

If he began working after 1984, then your survivor's benefits will affect your SS benefits. Please see below:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are given credit for helping you and for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.