LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband just turned 65 and is self employed. He no longer

Customer Question

My husband just turned 65 and is self employed. He no longer as insurance. The plan he was on was with Medicaid, because his taxes shows a negative income because of the large expenses. The plan he was on only covers a person to age 64, because they become eligible for Medicare at 65. My question is does he have to take out Medicare, he is not going to collect Social Security, or can he buy insurance from an insurance company
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Just that he has NO insurance right now, and he is a heart and cancer patient and we do not know how we are going to pay for all his meds this month
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is no reason NOT to take Medicare at 65. Medicare Part A is free of charge and Part B will only cost him about $120 per month----which is probably about $1000 less than he would pay if he bought health insurance on the market right now.

But no, no one will force him to apply for Medicare---but it is just plain foolish not to do so.

He only has 3 months after the month that he turned 65 to apply for Medicare---so he needs to do so ASAP! He can apply online for your Medicare right now online at this site: https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/apply.html

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the coming New Year,

Doug