LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I have been receiving ss benefits since 62. I am now 66. I

Customer Question

I have been receiving ss benefits since 62. I am now 66. I only receive 450 month. Can I claim ss on my husbands earnings. He is stll working at present.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have been receiving ss benefits since 62. I am now 66. I only receive 450 month. Can I claim ss on my husbands earnings. He is stll working at present.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband is 65 in Feb 2017. He is not sure if he is taking ss then or wait til 66. His benefit is 2300 month when 66
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Until your husband actually applies for his own social security retirement benefit, you will not be allowed to apply for your spouse benefit. However, as soon as he applies for his retirement benefit, you are free to apply for your spouse benefit. The two of you will be better off by waiting until he is 66 to apply for his benefit and your spouse benefit because your spouse benefit will have reached its maximum value on his 66th birthday.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the coming New Year,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug