LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My wife died am I ELIGIBLE FOR BENefits after I turn 60,

Customer Question

my wife died am I ELIGIBLE FOR BENefits after I turn 60
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: that's all I wanted to know am I eligible live alone no children
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: iam still working will to 65 four more years
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 24 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you are not remarried by the time you turn age 60, you will become eligible for a survivor benefit from social security based on the passing of your wife. The benefit will be equal to the social security benefit that she would have been eligible for as of her full retirement age based on the lifetime earnings that she had up to the time of her death.

If you are legally disabled, then you can qualify for the survivor benefit as early as age 50. If you are not disabled, age 60 is the earliest date that you can qualify. Again, you cannot be remarried at the time you apply for the survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in the coming New Year,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 24 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug