Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I will not turn 65 until August of 2007. I will not retire

Customer Question

I will not turn 65 until August of 2007. I will not retire for at least 5 more years and I'm self employed. I have health coverage through my wife's work (school district). I keep hearing that I'm required to sign up for Medicare and Social Security in the year before I turn 65 but I can't find any proof of that. All I can find is a directive to sign up for Medicar 3 months before I turn 65. Am I missing something? Sorry for the long winded question.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I meant I turn 65 in 2017, not 2007.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I keep hearing that I'm required to sign up for Medicare and Social Security in the year before I turn 65 but I can't find any proof of that. All I can find is a directive to sign up for Medicar 3 months before I turn 65. Am I missing something? Sorry for the long winded question.

Response: No, you are not missing anything. The information you have received about signing up for Medicare and Social Security in the year before you turn 65 is not correct. You are not required to do so. However, if you are going to be covered by your spouse's employer's insurance, your spouse needs to ask if the employer still requires you to sign up for Medicare. If the employer does not require you to sign up for Medicare, you can still sign up for Medicare later during special enrollment without incurring any late enrollment penalty. For more information, click here.