Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

S.s. take more then 200.00 out of my s.s. check and I am

Customer Question

s.s. take more then 200.00 out of my s.s. check and I am retired and need the extra money
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the way they take out money because of I owe them money. I think I can pay them a small amount now
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Hi, they ARE open to this.

...

In most situations, Social Security must allow you to pay back an overpayment over a long period of time.

...

In general, Social Security will negotiate a payment plan with you so you can pay back an overpayment of benefits if you can show that you cannot afford your basic living expenses unless Social Security reduces the amount they are taking out of your check each month.

...

The amount that Social Security will ordinarily take from you each month depends on whether you receive SSI, SSDI, or retirement benefits.

...

Sometimes they will even request the full amount of the overpayment from you, but still, you can negotiate a repayment plan to pay it back over time.

...

What you'll need to do is document all of your living expenses (bills, food, clothing, shelter, transportation), call the main number to set an appointment to go into the local office to show them your documentation.

...

Tell them that you'd like to request a payment plan, becasue the amount they are taking is causing economic hardship.

...

Call 1-***-***-****, and you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

But yes, it will take a some work, but if can show them that you can't afford the deductions they WILL work with you.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit) … That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this is Armand I can't get any where past my name and pass word page. About S.S.they are taking out of my check 202.00 a month because I owe them some money .It is hurting me I need as much as possible. I paid before
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Let me try to re-paste the main part of my answer here:

...

Hi, they ARE open to this.

...

...

In general, Social Security will negotiate a payment plan with you so you can pay back an overpayment of benefits if you can show that you cannot afford your basic living expenses unless Social Security reduces the amount they're deducting.

...

...

...

...

It will take a some work, but if can show them that you can't afford the deductions they WILL work with you.