Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am 64 years old and am wondering if I am able to collect

Customer Question

I am 64 years old and am wondering if I am able to collect on my husband's social security? He is 72.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I do not want to apply for my social security until I am 66 but I have no other income except my job. I am old and need to quit my job soon. Also, I have some health issues.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am a night ICU nurse X 32 years. Because of my income I cannot afford health care. I fall into that category of around 800.00/ mo. for health insurance. I want to start working as a part time home health nurse but the cut in pay is greater than I can afford. If I could get a supplement to that lower income I think I could make it work.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name’s Lane. … I can help here.

I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Please bear with me a moment while I prepare your response

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you can. Even though this changed for people born after 1954 (The Bi-partisan Budget Amendment of 2015), those born Jan 1954 OR BEFORE can still file for spousal benefits and let their own continue to grow.

...

If you file a 64 it will not be the full 1/2 of his, because you aren't yet 66 (full retirement age for those born between 1943 and 1954), it will be a little less than 50% of his full retirement age benefit.

...

But, you certainly can, and your own work record benefit will continue to grow.

...

I'm attaching a chart that should make this clear. (note the second column)

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, … I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I won’t be compensated for the work here.

Thank you!

Lane