keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I retired from my job on September 30, 2016, I went to the

Customer Question

I retired from my job on September 30, 2016, I went to the Salem, MA office and spoke with them about it. I was assured that all was well with my retirement and insurance, now I am being told that they made an error and am no longer receiving my retirement benefits or insurance. Because I am receiving my husbands death benefits, I have lost money there too. What can I do??
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

If you are 65, there should be no problem with your basic Medicare benefits. You would need to purchase a supplemental policy to cover the portion of your expenses that Medicare doesn't cover as well as prescription drug coverage. Alternatively, you can enroll in an all in one Medicare Advantage Plan.

As far as your Social Security benefits are concerned, you would be entitled to the higher of your own retirement benefit based upon your own earnings record or your husband's full retirement benefit, since he has passed away.

Since that is the case, were you receiving both benefits for a time and is that how you were apparently overpaid?