LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband died Oct. 3, 2016 and the Death Benefit was not

Customer Question

My husband died Oct. 3, 2016 and the Death Benefit was not deposited on Oct. 31. Should I follow up on that?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My funeral director made a request for the one time $255. benefit and that was not deposited at the end of Oct. Do I need to do more?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No, but wonder if there is a requirement for a Death Certificate or something else.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are referring to the $255 death benefit, then there is no need to be concerned that you have not yet received it. It can take 30 to 60 days and occasionally even a bit longer to get the payment after you apply for it.

And yes, a death certificate is required by the Social Security Administration to process the death benefit. I would presume that your funeral director forwarded a copy to SSA, but if you are not sure, you will need to ask the Director. If they did not send the certificate in to social security, then you will need to do that.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug