Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am on on SSDI, my girlfriend is on SSI and receives

Customer Question

I am on on SSDI, my girlfriend is on SSI and receives Medi-Medi. We would like to get married but need to know the ramifications with her benefits (insurance in particular)
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

If you marry, your income gets deemed partially to your wife. As such it will typically reduce her eligibility for SSI, which is the needs-based welfare benefit - thus, any money she gets from others (including a spouse who is then liable for her support), will count dollar for dollar against her SSI (after the first $20 or so). The same can be true for health insurance if based on welfare. For this reason, you want to figure out the exact numbers (your local SSA office can tell you your figures and what the threshold is for her SSI to start reducing, and your local state assistance office (medicaid) to determine what its threshold is that will effect her health insurance eligibility. In other words, will her having your income make to "too well-off" to expect others (taxpayers) to pay her way for her when she and you can do it. The limits are quite low, generally, so it is a great question to concern yourself with and can be a major reason to avoid marriage, unfortunately. She could also be putting other benefits at risk - including food stamps. Her county office will have those limits available, so she should consider making an appointment where she finds out how much of a spouse's income would be "deemed" to her, to prevent her coverage.

For some reason, the system will not let me upload the handy deeming chart - but if you go here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ssi+deeming+chart&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

And scroll to the pdf attached my the "ruralinstitute" and look under "spouse to spouse" deeming. This will tell you if you make an amount that will implicate deeming to her. Note that she can be deemed enough to reduce SSI while NOT eliminating it...

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!