Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Received mail from SSA dated 11/23/2016, claim Number,

Customer Question

Received mail from SSA dated 11/23/2016, claim Number,###-##-#### advising of monthly deduction for Medicare Plan B of$267.90, an increase of $55.09 and a new deduction for Medicare Part D IRMAA of $34.20.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: let met continue my question since I inadvertently struck the wrong key. We filed a joint return for 2015 showing a one-time sale of property. We Participate in the New Mexico retiree health care act regarding part D. Why then does SSA charging $34.20 for a service I already pay for.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 12 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

OK, your income for 2015 is what is being used to determine your 2017 premiums, both Part B and Part D. Because you do NOT have creditable coverage (retiree plan is not generally creditable), you smartly took Medicare B and D. (It may also be that your retiree plan required you take Medicare B and D when eligible because it would only cover as secondary, and medicare would be your primary). That said, this increase will end for 2018 if your 2016 income is back down to prior or similar levels.

So, specifically, SSA is charging you for your Part D because you signed up for it - it is not mandatory though. Could it be that you didn't realize you HAD Part D (the lower premium amount being taken directly from your SS benefit so possibly went unnoticed). And the increase is due to your IRMAA based on that notably higher 2015 income.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!