Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I'm 67 and lost my husband 4 years ago. My doctor put me out

Customer Question

I'm 67 and lost my husband 4 years ago. My doctor put me out on disability due to anxiety and depression. After my regular disability ran out I was still badly depressed and asked if I could apply for SSD because I was an assistant director at a daycare dealing with families, and children which depressed me even more. He said "oh you don't want to have to deal with their dr's" and released me..I tried to return to work but would have panic attacks and when I got in my car sobbed all the way home and almost had several accidents. I finally decided to stop working and collect my husband's social security. I was 63 and full retirement was 66 for me..I was told that I would be penalized $600 a month due to my age.i changed dr's and now am in 2 antidepressants, Xanax 3x a day and seeing a therapist and have an emotional therapy dog. Can I go back to see if I can collect his full amount now and previous money lost for each month I received less
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, I feel the first doctor sent me back to work too early and he was treating my parents with whom he knows I was enstranged. At one time he was walking into my exam room and my mother was going into the room next door. He held the door open and apsaid to her " oh I got your result and you had a mini stroke" which he knew I heard and knew that was my mothe
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Question:

Can I go back to see if I can collect his full amount now and previous money lost for each month I received less

Response: Unfortunately, you cannot. It does not work that way. You cannot go back to make up the amount you lost because you applied for benefits before your full retirement age. This is the current law. There are no exceptions.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.