ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
89981332

My disabled daughter (on SSI) gave me her car, because she

Customer Question

My disabled daughter (on SSI) gave me her car, because she is no longer able to drive. The car is a 2003 Subaru Baja. It has a lot of cosmetic damage, dents, scratches, missing gas door. The interior had a soda pop explode all over and it is filthy. The seats are ripped. It needs a battery, belts, oil change, plugs, new lower control arms, and ball joints. It has 180,000 miles and hasn't been driven in a year. One tire is rubbing. She was given notice that she needs to get rid of all non running cars by her landlord.
i am on SSDI but I have a child with Autism and sensory problems, who is on SSI. How do we handle this when reporting to SSI, so that neither of us are penalized.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Her Subaru Baja has not run in a year now.
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 14 days ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi Judy

SSI allows you to own one vehicle to use to transport any member of your family without affecting your SSI benefits. Please see below:

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

If you have found my answer helpful, the please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY though positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Anne, I understand about the vehicles, however Social Security, when you are on SSI, requires that when you sell a vehicle you get market value for it, or you are penalized. This is where the problem lies. If she gives it to me will she be penalized, and how should we handle it so we are not? How do we report it to Social Security so that she doesn't lose benefits. This, I think, is more of a legal question.
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 13 days ago.

I will "opt out" which allows this question to be posted back on the question board for another expert to pick up and help you.

Have a great holiday season!

Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 13 days ago.

Hi. Great Question. As long as it is used to provide necessary transportation or if it does not exceed a certain market value, you are fine.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for. Thank you.

Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 12 days ago.

A positive rating is very much appreciated. Thank you.