Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My father has demintia and currently is in a VA nursing

Customer Question

my father has demintia and currently is in a VA nursing home. He currently receives monthly ss payments. He lived with a lady for several years prior to the nursing home but does not have contact with her now. I think his ss is being deposited into a bank account that she controls. My father does not remeber. What is the process of determiniong where his funds are transferring to?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I do not know
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 14 days ago.

Hi. Great Question. Sorry to hear.

I would go to your local social security - you can find your nearest location via the following link:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

I am thinking that the nursing home may be receiving it. I would check first with his Social Worker at the home.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. ***** to You.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The nursing home is not receiving the ss payments. How much did your answer cost me?

I have opted out - it does not appear that you are satisfied with the response. Thank you. Best Wishes to You.

Expert:  Lane replied 14 days ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... a different expert.

...

Social Security will not release this information unless you petition to become what's called a representative payee

...

Some of my clients, before contacting me, learned the hard way, that Social Security does not accept a POA (Power of Attorney)

...

But as next of kin, you have the right to be put on the account as representative payee.

...

I'm so sorry, but you MUST go to a Social Security office to do this.

...

If you call 1-***-***-**** you can set an appointment to go in to do this.

...

You'll need a birth certificate to show that you are the next of kin.

Expert:  Lane replied 14 days ago.

You can read all about the representative Payee Program here:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/index.htm

...

Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, … I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Thank you!

Lane

I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986