emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am turning 65 in January. I currently am working as a

Customer Question

I am turning 65 in January. I currently am working as a contractor and therefore receive my medical benefits from the State of Florida (Florida Blue) through my wife's employment. Do I have to apply for Medicare part B? If I do not will I be penalized when I do? Should I still sign up for part A?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 12 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

At 65 you are eligible for Medicare, regardless if you apply for social security benefits or not. If you are collecting any type of social security benefits, you had been automatically enrolled in Part A. Part B is optional.

You do not have to enroll, but if you don't when you become eligible (at 65), you will be penalized later for late enrollment. The penalty is in form of higher premium for few years.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?