Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter who is about to turn 18 gets ssdi from her

Customer Question

My daughter who is about to turn 18 gets ssdi from her deceased disabled father's benefits. She is mentally ill with BPD, PTSD, somataform disorder, and conversion disorder. She is not classified as disabled by social security as of yet. Am I allowed to sign the school continuation of benefits form on her behalf and or stay listed as payee because of her mental illness?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 17 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am having problems posting my answer to you.

The answer to your question is Yes. However, it is prudent to also complete and file Person Representative form to act on her behalf. This is different from representative payee form.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is there any recourse if she refuses to sign the representative for because she doesn't understand what it means?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 days ago.

You can file for for Guardianship of an Adult at her local Courthouse. Once appointed by the Court, you can use the Order to get Social Security Administration to appoint you as her Personal Representative. You can obtain guardianship forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation