TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

On line on line lost you. Lost spouse can new spouse receive

Customer Question

on line on line lost you.
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Lost spouse can new spouse receive any benefits after one year,
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No just this research question . if marriage happens.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.

Generally, you must be married for one year before you can get spouse’s benefits.

However, if you are the parent of your spouse’s child, the one-year rule does not apply.

The same is true if you were entitled (or potentially entitled) to certain benefits under Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Act in the month before the month you got married.

A divorced spouse must have been married 10 years to get spouse’s benefits.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)