LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband died on October 26, 2016. What should I do with

Customer Question

My husband died on October 26, 2016. What should I do with respect to his social security checks/
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Name - Miles Hillard LOVINGOOD, ssn###-##-#### His ssn check is automatically deposited in my checking account at the beginning of each month.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: The most important thing is that Miles Hillard LOVINGOOD died on October 26, 2016.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 19 days ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm so very for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Please don't confuse excellent service with a satisfactory outcome based on your wants and desires. I can only explain the law to you---not guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome.

Under present social security law, benefit payments are paid in arrears by one month---meaning that your September benefit payment is not paid to you until October. So, the payment that was received in October was yours to keep. However, if you receive any further benefit payments (such as one in November)---be they deposits to a bank account, a paper check received in the mail, or a deposit made to a debit card, you will need to return that benefit to social security. This is because a person is not eligible for a benefit payment for a given month if they do not survive through the end of that given month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug