keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My husband just passes away and he had his social security

Customer Question

My husband just passes away and he had his social security checks direcr deposied.
I need to have his social security benefits diect deposied to my checing account.
we were married for 52 years. what doI need o do to have his social security checks dirrect deposited to my checking account
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

First of all my condolences on the loss of your husband. I know this must be a difficult time for you. It's always hard when you lose a Spouse, especially after 52 years of marriage.

Are you receiving Social Security benefits from your own Social Security earnings record or are you receiving Spousal benefits under your husbands earning record?

At this point, all you have to do is to call Social Security to inform them that your husband has passed away. They will make the appropriate adjustment in your benefits and have them direct deposited wherever you wish, perhaps where your benefits are being deposited now.

You will be entitled to the higher of your husband's full retirement benefit as of his full retirement age your own benefit based upon your own earnings record, but not both benefits.

In many cases the funeral director will notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your husband's death, so you may want to check on that before you call the SSA yourself as sometimes the wait on hold on the telephone can be quite long.

If you need to contact the SSA, you may do so at the following number:

Call the SSA toll-free number, 1-***-***-****, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.