LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a widow as of Oct.10th 2016, I have not been able to

Customer Question

I am a widow as of Oct.10th 2016, I have not been able to find out and get the benefits from my husbands SS and will not until Jan/2018. On my small SS Check I can't pay my bills, this is a nightmare for me. I have good credit and hate to see this happen. Is there any help or what do I do. I am hard of hearing and can't work so that makes matters worse. Is there any help.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Are you saying there is no help from SS until my credit is a mess.
JA: No. I'm the retirement accountant's Assistant.
Customer: So this is not SS
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Have you not been able to apply for a survivor benefit yet for some reason?

2. You have not been able to find out what?

3. Why is the date January 2018 an important date?

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not been able to apply for benefits and have to wait until Jan/2018 before they will see me. This will make a hard ship for me. I don't get any SS until around the 20th of the month. I can't pay all my bills.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good morning,

You can apply for your survivor benefit over the phone by calling 1-***-***-****. You may have to wait a long time to get an answer because the lines are always terribly busy, but that will get you signed up for the benefit quickly. Additionally, you can go to your local social security office and wait for an opening. You do not have to have an appointment to be seen---but it means that you may wait a number of hours to be seen.

So, there is really no reason that you should wait until January to go apply for your benefit. Just be sure to have the following documents/information when you apply:

1. Both of your social security numbers.

2. A copy of your marriage license

3. A copy of the death certificate.

That is what you will need to apply for your survivor benefits. And again, you CAN do it over the phone today if you are patient and wait to get through to a live person on the phone.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug