TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

If I applied for retirement, can I unapply, i think if i

Customer Question

if I applied for retirement, can I unapply
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i think if i retire now, it might be a hardship. i am on unemployment and find it difficult to work 8 hours a day. i think i would only make 20,000 dollars if i retire and get the $15,500 allowed if i worked and had 1827 minus medicare ( I will be 65 in January) and the other medical parts to pay.. plus renting.
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: like?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 22 days ago.

A person can, under limited options, withdraw their application for SSA benefits. You are limited to one withdrawal per lifetime.

If you are receiving Social Security Retirement benefits and you change your mind about when they should start, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date.

If you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application.

If you applied then withdrew the application you would also have to repay any amount of benefits received.

You would have to fill out Social Security Form SSA-521 and include the reason why you want to withdraw the application on the form.