TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

How do I report a death? My husband passed away October 17,

Customer Question

How do I report a death?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband passed away October 17, 2016. His name is********** *****. His SS no. is###-##-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, his monthly check was not direct deposited in his account this month. Has it been suspended?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 22 days ago.

Usually, the funeral director will report the person’s death to Social Security.

When a deceased was receiving Social Security benefits , you generally must return the benefit received

for the month of death or any later months.

For example, if the person dies in Oct, you must return the benefit paid in Nov. If received by direct deposit, contact the bank or other financial institution and ask them to return any funds received for the month of death or later. If paid by check, do not cash any checks received for the month the person dies or later.

I think his death was reported by the funeral director and that is why no benefit was sent in Nov.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What happens if my husband and Ib are both receiving social security and now he is deceased. Do I receive his benefit now?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 22 days ago.

To apply for survivor benefits you would have to actually go into your SSA office.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

If you need to make sure the director reported your husband;s passing, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

How much you can receive depends on how much your own record allows you to receive.