keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I moved from RI to Ct and was told by Yale New Haven

Customer Question

I moved from RI to Ct and was told by Yale New Haven Hospital that my RI medicare card number cannot be used. This woman said that I needed a new number from Ct. Is this the correct information?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm just a little nervous that this lady gave me incorrect information.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

I think she may have been referring to your Supplemental Medicare insurance. You will have to switch that to a CT licensed insurance company that is selling the supplemental insurance in CT.

If for example you have a RI Blue Cross Part B supplemental policy (which covers the 20% of costs which Medicare doesn't cover) and a Supplemental Part D (Prescriptions), then it would normally be a simple matter to transfer to CT Blue Cross with the same or similar coverages.

The same thing would apply if you are in an "Medicare Advantage Plan".

The best way to handle this easily is to call your RI Insurance provider and ask what needs to be done to effect the transfer. This happens all the time so it should be no problem.