ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
89981332

I moved from RI to Ct and was told by Yale New Haven

Customer Question

I moved from RI to Ct and was told by Yale New Haven Hospital that my RI medicare card number cannot be used. This woman said that I needed a new number from Ct. Is this the correct information?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm just a little nervous that this lady gave me incorrect information.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Great Question. Here are the rules:

If you reside within the United States (including the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands), you may maintain your Original Medicare, Part A and B.

She may be thinking that you have a Medicare Supplemental Plan:

If you’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan, a change in residence, such as moving to another state, could qualify you for a Special Election Period (SEP). During your SEP, you’re allowed to enroll into a new plan that is offered in your new service area.

If you decide to permanently move somewhere that’s not covered by your current Medicare plan (that is, outside the plan’s service area), you need to tell your plan immediately.

You can switch to a new Medicare Advantage plan or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan during this period of moving to a different service area. If you prefer, you can return to Original Medicare.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am concerned that this person I spoke with at Yale New Haven Hospital may have trying to scam me as I did give her my medicare claim number. She said her system didn't take it. That is not correct according to what you told me. Should I call back the number and ask for her supervisor or call security at Yale to check up on her. She only gave me her first name and last initial and said I could talk to anyone in her department if I had further questions.

Yes - I would definitely contact billing and confirm. Best Regards.

Let me know how everything turned out. Thank you.

A Positive 5-star rating is very much appreciated. Have a great day.