keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I understand if you are self employed the income does not

Customer Question

I understand if you are self employed the income does not count, true or false.
if so what is the definition of self employed in the eyes of SS.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

If you are asking if Self-Employment income "counts" for Social Security purposes, YES it does.

So, technically the answer to your statement:

"I understand if you are self employed the income does not count, true or false." is

FALSE

As far as what is the definition of "self-employed" in the eyes of SS, it is the same definition that is used by the IRS, namely you operate a business as a Sole Proprietor or a Partnership. You are in business for yourself, selling a product or products or performing a service, or making something to be sold on a wholesale or retail basis.

For example, in terms of selling a product(s), you could own & operate a retail establishment, a gift shop, a restaurant or any other retail store. Performing a service could be an attorney, an accountant, a barber, etc., and making something could be making birdhouses, tables, etc.