dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 61 and will be 62 in Dec. I am disabled and I draw

Customer Question

I am 61 and will be 62 in Dec. I am disabled and I draw social security. I was told that when I turn 62 I can draw my ex husband's social security instead of mine because his is higher. We were married almost 15 years. He is now remarried. Is that true? If so how do I do it?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

As long both of you are 62 or older and you are not married (or did not remarry before 60), than yes, you may switch to spousal benefits, if higher than your own. Spousal benefits (benefits based on your ex spouse's records) could be as much as 50% of your ex spouse's benefits.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But how do I do that?

You have to contact the social security at 1-***-***-**** or visit your local social security office. You will need your marriage and divorce certificate to prove that you were married for at least 10 years. A social security agent can access your ex spouse's records to determine your spousal benefits.