keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

My husband is receiving Old Age Security so how much spouse

Customer Question

my husband is receiving Old Age Security so how much spouse allowance will I receive
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I don't know what else to tell you. I will be turning 60 in December and my husband is turning 65 so I understand there is a spouse allowance that I can receive. could you tell me what the amount of spouse allowance.
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No not right now
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Well, first of all, if your husband begins to collect Social Security at age 65, he will be collecting early as his full retirement age would be 66.

So, when does he plan on collecting Social Security or if he's already collecting, at what age did he start? He could have started to collect a reduced benefit at age 62.

Now as far as your situation is concerned, the earliest that you may start to collect your Spousal benefit would be at age 62. At that age you would collect approximately 35% of your husband's full retirement benefit. If you were to wait until your full retirement age (at age 66 & 4 months) you would be entitled to 50% of your husband's full retirement benefit. (You were born in December 1956, correct).

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Also, I neglected to say that if you also are covered by Social Security based upon your own earnings record, and that worked out higher that your Spousal Benefit, then you would collect the higher of the two benefits, but not both.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No my husband is not collecting any OAS yet but was planning too in December. So I guess we have few more yrs yet. I am self employed so therefore did not make enough earnings to pay into CPP.

Unfortunately, your initial question was sent to the "Social Security" category, not to the "Canada" category.

Therefore, if you are talking about the Canadian Retirement System, I'll need to either obtain the correct information for you or forward your question to another expert.

Thanks very much & I apologize for the site's oversight.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 17 days ago.

OK, re the Canadian System.........Here's a link to a webpage that should assist you.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/cpp/oas/payments.page#tbl2

Now on that page you'll find a chart which shows what that monthly spousal payment will be for you from age

60 until your reach age 65. That payment depends upon your combined income during retirement and your husband's qualification for both components of the Canadian Pension System.

It looks to me that you will receive $520.17 a month as your Spousal benefit.

You may apply online if you wish.

When you go to this link, be careful that you don't look at the tables the give SURVIVOR BENEFITS. Those would apply only if you were a widow.

Also, your husband does qualify for his full pension benefits at age 65, as you planned on.

If this answers your original question, please provide a rating for me.

Thanks very much.