LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband died in 1997 out of the country can i now apply

Customer Question

my husband died in 1997 out of the country can i now apply for his ss benefits
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i was unable to get death certificate at that time but i now have it. i am also of age to collect ss can i collect both
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no my children ar all adults now
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you are at least 60 years old, or 50 and legally disabled, and you are not yet remarried, then you may apply for your survivor benefit from social security based on your husband's lifetime income.

The fact that he was out of the country when he dies will not prevent you from qualifying for your survivor benefit. However, you cannot collect both your own retirement benefit and a survivor benefit. You may only collect one benefit at a time and of course you will choose the greater monthly benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. You can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug