dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I want to find out about collecting my late husbands social

Customer Question

I want to find out about collecting my late husbands social security. I'm 62 and would like to know if I should collect his SS or if I should collect on my own. Which is the greater amount?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Im still working be need the extra income.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You have couple of options. You can apply for reduced widows/surviving benefits and let your own grow until 70, you can switch to your own at your full retirement age or you can apply for your own reduced benefits and switch to widows benefits at full retirement age. To find out which option will give you the highest benefits you will need to contact social security directly, because only social security agent can access all your and your husband's records.

If you collect benefits and keep working, before you reach your full retirement age your benefits will be reduced by $1 for over $2 you earn over $15,720 (in 2016, in 2017 the threshold will be most likely little higher).

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?