Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I believe I read somewhere that if a US citizen lives

Customer Question

I believe I read somewhere that if a US citizen lives overseas while claiming social security they have to fill and return a questionnaire once a year. Do you know if that is correct and if so, do you have or can you point me to an example questionnaire?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 22 days ago.

Hi, you can read about the questionnaire (and the other issues associated with receiving Social Security statements outside the US) here:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

...

I'll see if I cna find a copy for you, but if you read the SSA pamphlet I've linked here, you'll understand what is being determined by the answers you provide

...

Although the specifics of the questionairre are not provided, here's what they say about the questionairre

...

Your answers will help us determine if you are still eligible for benefits. Complete, sign, date, and return the questionnaire to us 16 in the envelope provided with the questionnaire as soon as possible.

...

If you do not, your payments will stop.

...

In addition to responding to the questionnaire, notify us promptly about changes that could affect your payments.

...

If you fail to report or deliberately make a false statement, you could be penalized by a fine or imprisonment.

...

You also may lose some of your payments if you do not report changes promptly.

...

You will receive a questionnaire between May and June every year no matter where you live outside the United States if you

• • Are age 90 or over;
  • • Have a representative payee; or
  • • Are not receiving benefits as a spouse, widow(er), parent, mother or father, or disabled widow(er)

...

Expert:  Lane replied 22 days ago.

Now, if you'll bear with me I'll see if I can find a copy