TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

Okay. I have been working overseas for foreign companies and

Customer Question

Okay. I have been working overseas for foreign companies and I have not paid into Social Security system since 2008. I haven't submitted re-portable income to IRS since but since I make less than $96,000 and have no investment income I have no tax liabilities, including Social Security since I did not work for US companies and deductions would have been one-sided and voluntary on my part. Correct?According to SSA I have earned enough credits to be paid $870 or so if I retire at 62 (next year). SSA told me that as of 2014 I would get $1182 at 66 and $870 at 62. They told me the exact amount is determine when I apply. Would that amount be close to their estimate?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I also have a dependent minor child who is eligible for benefits. I am going to file back income tax reports soon. I owe default student loans but I know about benefit garnishment and filing for income sensitive deferments in the future
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 25 days ago.

I haven't submitted re-portable income to IRS since but since I make less than $96,000 and have no investment income I have no tax liabilities, including Social Security since I did not work for US companies and deductions would have been one-sided and voluntary on my part. Correct?

Not exactly. If you did not report your income abroad and did not claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, if the IRS audited you they could deny the use of the exclusion.

Generally the claim for exclusion must be made with:

• a timely filed return (including any extensions),

• a return amending a timely filed return, or

• a late-filed return filed within 1 year from the original due date of the return (determined without regard to any extensions).

​You can choose the exclusion on a return filed after the periods described above, provided you owe no federal income tax after taking the exclusion into account. The IRS may push back when you do file but you can argue the use with them based on the fact that you declared and they did not find you out first.

The amount is determined when you do file for SSA but if you have not worked in any other instance that added to SSA then they are most likely correct on the amount.