dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have been divorced from my ex-husband since 1991 and I

Customer Question

I have been divorced from my ex-husband since 1991 and I have never remarried. Our marriage lasted from 1969 to 1991(22 years). He remarried twice, but he's divorced now and neither of those unions lasted longer than 12 years. (If it matters, I am the only one he has children and grandchildren with.) I had to leave my last job in 2003 with a disability and began receiving SS in 2005. My question is: Am I able to begin receiving my ex's retirement, or a part of it? I am barely able to pay my basic bills and the only income I receive other than SS is a pension of $237/month, which I have been notified will cease as of 12/31/16. I truly don't know what I'm going to do. My SS# *****###-##-#### My email is***@******.*** or***@******.*** (I keep forgetting the correct one, so please send response to both.). Thank you for your time.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If your ex and you are 62 or older and your spousal benefits are higher than your disability benefits, you could switch to spousal benefits. To find out about your spousal benefits and how much you would be eligible for you need to contact social security directly. Here are contact information: https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/phone.html

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?