dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife started receiving her benefits at age 62 could she

Customer Question

my wife started receiving her benefits at age 62 could she now change to 1/2 of my benefit which would give about 200 more per month
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: can my wife change from the benefits she started at age 62 to getting 1/2 of mine.
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: she is now 89 years old and I am 91 we just realized that if she could have switched to 1/2 of mine it would of been beneficial to our retirement
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 23 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately by applying for her own benefits before her full retirement age she permanently reduced her own but also all other benefits available to her now or in the future, including spousal benefits. She would get 37.85% of your benefits.

To get 50% of the your benefits she would had to wait until 65 to apply.