How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7073
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend living in Mexico who's have a daughter 6

Customer Question

I have a friend living in Mexico who's have a daughter 6 years( I think ) and his father was a legal resident with his daughter no income and want to know if she can apply for depend of her father I have his SS # and hers too,was in his income tax forms what can I do to help her?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 6 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Your question is not very clear to me.

Friend - male - Mexico

Friend's daughter - female - Mexico

Friend's father - male - U.S. legal resident

His (whose?) daughter - female - which country?

"no income and want to know if she can apply for depend of her father I have his SS # and hers too,was in his income tax forms what can I do to help her?"

Please kindly explain more in more sentences.

Who has no income?

If the person has no income, why does the person needs dependent on the person's tax return?

How many people in total in the relationship?

Are you the tax accountant?



Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't tell me you don't understand my question .Is about a child who's was depends on his father support.He's dead now and she has only her mother to support her,very poor people.Her father have her in his income tax forms he was a legal resident (no citizen) retired living on # SS and now want to know since her father had her a depends she should to have help from his social security?she's only 6 or 7 years old living in mexico and never be in this country.Please answer me correctly cause I want to help this girl.I have his ss # and hers too.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to cancel this payment if you tried to me sign into something i don't need .answer my question and is the only i asked.
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 6 months ago.

Another expert here...........................

Here is the Social Security rule with respect to Survivor benefits:

If you receive benefits as a dependent or survivor of the worker, special requirements may affect your right to receive Social Security payments while you are outside the U.S. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must have lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years. During that 5 years, the family relationship on which benefits are based must have existed. For example, if you are receiving benefits as a spouse, you must have been married to the worker and living in the U.S. for at least 5 years.

Children who cannot meet the residency requirement on their own may be considered to meet it if it is met by the worker and other parent (if any). However, children adopted outside the U.S. will not be paid outside the U.S., even if the residency requirement is met.

So if the mother and daughter never lived in the US legally, then it appears the daughter (and mother for that matter) would not be entitled to benefits under the worker's Social Security record.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in..............

I see you have had a chance to review my response.

Do you have any follow-up questions?

If not, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way that I will receive my share of the payment you already made to the site. There is no extra charge for providing a rating for me.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.