emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My husband passed away in 2005 he would have turned 65 in

Customer Question

my husband passed away in 2005 he would have turned 65 in march of this year , am I intitled to any benefits and if so is there a limit on what I can earn ?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what would you like to know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I don't intend to retire my self for a few years , i will be 64 next month
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 26 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You could have had applied for widows benefits 4 years ago, as soon as you became 60.

If you work and receive social security benefits before your full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by your earnings. In 2016, if you earned more than $15720, your benefits would be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit. The limit is adjusted for inflation every couple years or so.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 25 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The limit for income applies to widow benefit as well?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 25 days ago.

Yes, the limit apply to ALL social security benefits, since working or not working or how much you earn is something you can control.

See here on page 10: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10084.pdf

What if I work? If you work while getting Social Security survivors benefits and are younger than full retirement age, we may reduce your benefits if your earnings exceed certain limits.