LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Can democrats block any changes Republicans try to make to

Customer Question

Can democrats block any changes Republicans try to make to social security?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 22 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: Can democrats block any changes Republicans try to make to social security? Yes, that would be possible through a filibuster of any attempt by the Republicans to pass a bill changing social security.

However, in an effort to allay your fears, the likely changes in Social Security will almost certainly not effect the retirement, disability or survivor benefit that you may be receiving. Changes are most likely to be made, if any, to the welfare benefits overseen by social security and to Medicaid, and the social security taxes paid by workers. What is not expected to be seen is the lessening of any benefits presently being paid to retirees, disabled people and widows and widowers.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am at the end of my disability claim with a hearing on Jan 6th coming up do you think this will affect my outcome?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 22 days ago.

Good afternoon,

If these changes are sought in social security regulations, it will probably not be done until late in 2017 at the earliest. Your upcoming hearing will be heard under the same laws that have been in place for years now. You don't need to be concerned that any changes will occur between now and then, because they simply will not be.

The outcome of your hearing will in no way be effected by any changes in the law that might be proposed in mid to late 2017, or later. There are no changes in the pipeline for the way that disability claims are handled by social security and the fact that Trump was elected will in no way effect your hearing or its outcome.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 22 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug