Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I need help in obtaining a social security number for a

Customer Question

I need help in obtaining a social security number for a special needs son that I haven't seen in 30 years. He was in jail and released on October 28 in Texas and I brought him back to Nevada to reside with me. He has no recent Texas Identification either. I took him to the Social Security Office last week and was turned away without any number I cannot move forward to get any help for him as far as getting an ID or getting his SSI reinstated. Can you help me please?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: First and foremost I need to get his social security number. I am his mother and have hit a brick wall on this matter. At this point he doesnt exist.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The jail in Texas may have been able to assist in obtaining a replacement social security card for your son before he was released if they participate in the program with Social Security for doing so.

Other avenues you can pursue to obtain your son's social security number are asking family members, contacting schools your son attended, contacting doctors' offices, etc. Did he have a bank account in Texas? Was he claimed as a dependent on anyone's tax return before he was incarcerated?

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb