Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband and I just moved from MASS. to GA. - We need to

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My husband and I just moved from MASS. to GA. - We need to change our address, get a copy of our last statement and my husband needs to
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: replace his card - Can we do this at the Riverside drive off and if so, what do we need to bring
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so - I tried to do this on line, but it did not recognize me
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 29 days ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help here.

...

So sorry, yes the online setup is really difficult... sometimes a space in the wrong place in an address can keep the identity verification form working.

...

your best bet will be to call the 1800 number (for two reasons):.

...

(1) Sometimes they can get things set up so you CAN get online, and

(2) If you just show up at riverside Drive you'll Likely be there all day just to leave with an appintment for another day (and you make make an appointment if you need to by calling)

...

(SSA always recommends that you call to make an appointment first)

...

So, I'm so sorry, but curling up with a good book and waiting to talk to a representative at the call center may be the "least of the evils."

...

See this from Social Security:

...

"By calling 1-***-***-****, you can use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day. If you cannot handle your business through our automated services, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday."

...

Finally, if you need to change your direct deposit, you can do that online of course, but you CAN also do that by going to your new bank or credit union. They have the forms to get that done for you.

Expert:  Lane replied 29 days ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at ALL, before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating using the Stars on our screen (and clicking submit).

Otherwise I'm not compensated for the time here.

...

Thanks!

Lane

...
I have a law degree, with electives in Tax Law, Estate law, Corporate law, and business planning … an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.