TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

If I worked and didn't pay into ss will I still receive ss

Customer Question

If I worked and didn't pay into ss will I still receive ss benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I don't think I paid in enough to get benefits.
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No I dont think so .
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

You can receive benefits on your own record or on your spouse or even an ex spouse's record.

Credits are the "building blocks" SSA uses to find out whether you have the minimum amount of covered work to qualify for each type of Social Security benefits.

If you stop working before you have enough credits to qualify for benefits, your credits will stay on your record. If you return to work later on, you can add more credits so that you can qualify.

No benefits can be paid if you do not have enough credits.

Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits.

You should check with SSA and see if you have the credits needed.