LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My name is **** and I am online applying for my social

Customer Question

Hi, My name is **** and I am online applying for my social security benefits, I will be 62 February 3rd.....and a question on the online application is, do I want to receive reduced SS benefits while I wait to also see if I am eligible for disability....should I type yes or no....btw, I do not think I will get disability I just thought I should click want it because I retired early from two back surgeries and its too hard for me to work , lift, be on my feet, etc. like that.......again, what should I put down for reduced benefits, yes or no....? I don't get that question. Thanks.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good evening Judy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: do I want to receive reduced SS benefits while I wait to also see if I am eligible for disability. Even if you believe that you may not qualify for SSDI benefits (Social Security Disability Benefits) you should still mark that as correct if you have already applied for disability, or if you are planning to apply.

There will be no negative result if you are not ultimately awarded SDI benefits. It will simply put the SSA on notice that you have, or will, in the near future, apply for SDI benefits. So yes, you will want to advise the SSA about your plans.

If you apply for SSDI benefits and are later awarded the SSDI benefits, that will result in your regular retirement benefits continue to increase in value, and you may qualify for a retroactive benefit because your SSDI benefit is based on your expected benefit at full retirement age. So yes, tell them if you plan to file for SSDI before you reach age 66.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Hi Judy,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug