Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Retired and work a part time how much money am I allowed to

Customer Question

retired and work a part time how much money am I allowed to make without penalties
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i work 26 hours a week at $10 per hour. why ia ss taking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: why did ss take
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 27 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Until you reach full retirement age, Social Security will subtract money from your retirement check if you exceed a certain amount of earned income for the year. For the year 2016, this limit on earned income is $15,720 ($1,310 per month). The amount goes up each year. If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit. Once you reach full retirement age, there is no limit on the amount of money you may earn and still receive your full Social Security retirement benefit.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/will-i-get-penalized-working-while-collecting-social-security-retirement.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 26 days ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb