Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I was the Power of Attorney for my girlfriend until she

Customer Question

I was the Power of Attorney for my girlfriend until she passed away on October 20, 2016. Shortly thereafter I received her social security checks (service retirement & Survivor continuance). The issue date for both checks is November 1, 2016. Is her estate entitled to these checks or should I return then, and to whom?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 27 days ago.

Hi ... Are you sure these aren't checks associated with CalPers?

...

Survivor Continuance is a monthly allowance paid if there is an eligible survivor and if the retiree's former employer contracted for the benefit

...

From CalPers:

...

Many factors affect death benefits, so it's not possible to know exactly what is payable until we receive and review all of the required documents after a death is reported.

...

If there has been a death, contact us to request the exact benefits and amounts payable for your specific case.

...

Benefits payable upon the death of an active member depend on:

...

• Date of separation from employment
  • Eligible beneficiary
  • Employer's contract with CalPERS
  • Job classification
  • Member's age
  • Whether they were eligible to retire at the time of death
  • Years of service

...

here's CalPers contact page:

...

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/contact

...

If this IS Social Security, then there are two important things to know:

...

(1) Benefits are paid one month in arrears, and

(2) No benefits are paid for the month of death

...

SO, this Nov 1 check (again, if from Social Security) is for October benefits, and would need to be returned.

...

Return the check to the Regional Financial Center (RFC), U.S. Treasury Department, using the address on the check envelope.

...

If you prefer, you may return the check to the Social Security office. That office will give you a receipt for the check and will return the check to the U.S. Treasury Department. When returning a check, give the reason why it is being returned.

Expert:  Lane replied 27 days ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at ALL, before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

...
I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986