Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Is there any possibility of getting SSI Disability if I am a

Customer Question

Is there any possibility of getting SSI Disability if I am a recovering alcoholic and am bi-polar. I have some other problems but I'm CONCERNED about the alcohol.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was drinking for a number of years and I'm sure Ii probably have some brain damage but it hasn't been diagnosed because I can't afford medical care. I have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder since 2013 and have become unable to work because of the mood swings, medications that make me drowsy etc. I am unemployed since 2013 and am finding it very difficult to find a job that I could perform. My mother has been supporting me but she is retired and really can't keep it up. I need medical care, I need financial support.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Yes, if you are no longer drinking, there is no risk of current alcohol abuse being a material factor of your disability.

That said, you can not actually win if you have no current and very strong medical evidence of an ongoing nature, so you will have to start getting regular/frequent/thorough mental treatment - whether you do that by working 3 days a month to earn that money to pay out of pocket, or you pursue medical assistance coverage, this is the single most important thing you need to do to ever prevail in an SSD case. THere is still much else, but that must be the foundation.

If you wish to consult further on this, or discuss potential representation (this is all I do), I will ask that you be provided the additional premium service for a phone call.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!