annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

My X husband recently died, I was told that I could fill on

Customer Question

My X husband recently died, I was told that I could fill on his Social Security for whats left of the back child support that is left but I need his SS, I had it yrs ago. How do I find it now?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: What retirement accountant?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 26 days ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi

You are able to file for benefits from your Ex spouse IF you were married for at least 10 years, AND you did not remarry.

You mentioned that you no longer had his SS#, so you would need to provide his place and date of birth as well as his parents’ names.

If you don't have this information also, you will need to contact your local SSA office and see if there is anything else that they would accept to prove your claim.

You mention that your ex still owed you back child support. You may be able to receive benefits for your child if they are under age 18, or permanently disabled.

Please see below:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/article/3766/who-can-get-social-security-survivors-benefits-and-how-do-i-apply

Unfortunately, if you do not qualify for the above survivor's benefits, then there is no way to recoup any back child support from your ex unless you can file a claim against his estate. (If you think you may qualify, please see an attorney)

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the minute to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 23 days ago.

HI

I see you read my response, but did not rate it..........do you have any follow up questions that I can help you with?

Again, if my answer helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars, as that is the ONLY way we are compensated.

Thank you again for choosing justanswer.