How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask annelew12554 Your Own Question
annelew12554, Social Security
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2421
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
annelew12554 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know my ss number is at risk. I am in the middle of a

Customer Question

I know my ss number is ***** risk. I am in the middle of a situation that will be involving the court house. I got a letter saying I applied for credit and I have not. I do know the person I will be in court with knows my social and birth\day. I have recently found out the person has an extensive criminal back ground. Had I known this I would have NEVER gotten involved with him. please help
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: beside my social number is ***** risk.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 5 months ago.


I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 5 months ago.


I'm so sorry that someone you trusted was not worthy of that trust. Telling you you are not alone isn't very helpful, but it is the truth.

Once your SS# ***** been compromised, there is no "quick fix" that will keep you safe, and more importantly, keep your number from being used by someone else. There are avenues that you need to take that will let you know if/when your number was used by someone else, and the steps you need to take to protect yourself, but I warn you, there is no easy/fast way to shut this down, should your number already be in use.

You stated that you would be in court with the person you now think has put your SS# ***** risk, so you may want to talk with you attorney and ask him/her what you should do, and if there is anyway that they can help you. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as if the gentleman cares about the law very much, but you can, and should, take every step to help secure your credit, including filing a police report.

Below I have linked you to a web site that has everything you should know about Identity Theft. Who to call, what steps to take, how to get a new SS# (not easy, but can be done) . Please see below:

I know it looks overwhelming, but just take one step at a time........

You may want to contact one of the companies, such as "Lifelock" and see what they can do to help you. (This is NOT an endorsement of any single company. I do not have a membership or tie with any of them, nor do I have any idea which company offers the most help. If I were in your shoes, I would contact some and see what they charge, and if they can help you after the fact)

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer, and best of luck to you.