dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife is 64 and I am 63 so we are not yet on so social

Customer Question

My wife is 64 and I am 63 so we are not yet on so social security. We do not need the money so we could wait till 70. We are both in good health and with G-d's help we will live into our 80's. At 66 I will receive $2698 per month and if I wait till 70 I will receive $3577 per month. At 66 my wife will receive $847 per month and age 70 she will receive $1118 per month. Here are my questions. If we both wait till 70 we will receive a combined income of about $4700 per month or about $55000 per year. Is there a maximum amount a couple can receive? If I die after 70 how much will my wife receive? If my wife took the money at 66 and I wait till 70 to get the maximum amount how muc will my wife get
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I did not finish my question. If my wife took the money at 66 and I wait till 70 to get the maximum amount how much will my wife get if I die after 70?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The family limit does not apply if both of you draw benefits on your own records.

The surviving/widows benefits equals to 100% of the amount the deceased spouse was collecting (or eligible for) at the time of his/her death as long as the surviving spouse wait until his/her full retirement age. If you die at 70, your spouse will receive 100% of benefits you will be entitled to at 70.

Your spouse cannot collect spousal benefits until you apply for your own. Which means, if she takes her benefits at 66 and you wait until 70, she will get $847 until you apply and than she can switch to spousal benefits - 50% of 2698, which would be $1349.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
If we both wait till 70 can she get 50 per cent of my benefits which would be about $1800 per month or about $700 more than she would receive on her own or does a maximum for a couple kick in reducing the total benefits we receive. This would raise our combined monthly benefit to $5300 per month or about $60000 per year. Will a cap be put on that amount?
Finally as long as I die after 70 no matter when she takes it, will she get 100 per cent of my social security amount?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

Her spousal benefits would be 50% of your benefits you would be eligible at 66, half of $2698. Spousal benefits are not affected by delayed credit (additional credit you get between 66 and 70). And there is no cap on the combined benefits of two-earner couples.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

Survivor benefits follow slightly different rules. When you die, your spouse will be eligible for 100% of your benefits you were receiving at the time of your death, including the delayed credits.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Please call me at 402-880/3385 and I will pay for call.
Rick
Expert:  emc011075 replied 29 days ago.

You need to request the phone call through additional offer. I do not have access to any of your private or billing information. It looks like you already tried but your credit card probably rejected it. It shows payment failure.