TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I will be retiring 1/1/17. I will only be 64 but need to do

Customer Question

I will be retiring 1/1/17. I will only be 64 but need to do so early. Am I able to receive ssi early
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Can I receive ssi earlier than my scheduled age of course at a lower amount?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I may have to go on disability also due to having alzheimers and not being able to focus at work anymore.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 29 days ago.

The earliest a person can start receiving Social Security retirement benefits is age 62.

If you start receiving retirement benefits at

• age 62, you will get 75% of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 48 months.
  • age 65, you will get 93.3% of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 12 months.